You are here
Home > Sport News > Football > Everton’s revival under Sam Allardyce continues as they end Swansea Unbeaten run

Everton’s revival under Sam Allardyce continues as they end Swansea Unbeaten run

Everton have continued their run of good form under new boss Sam Allardyce with a 3-1 comeback win over Premier League strugglers Swansea City at Goodison Park.

The Toffees trailed to a Leroy Fer goal as half time approached, but Dominic Calvert-Lewin pulled one back in stoppage time and ex-Swans ace Gylfi Sigurdsson then added a second.

Wayne Rooney made amends for his earlier penalty miss, which Calvert-Lewin converted from the rebound to kickstart the recovery mission, by adding a third of the evening from the spot in the final quarter of the match.

A fourth home win in succession for Everton, and their first over Swansea in four attempts here, puts them in ninth place and now seven points adrift of a European spot.

Just 47 seconds had been played when Wilfried Bony pulled up following an innocuous-looking challenge with another former Swansea star in Ashley Williams, forcing Paul Clement into an early change up top as he turned to Tammy Abraham.

Despite the early setback, Swansea made the better start without troubling Jordan Pickford, but their opponents did grow into the game and Rooney got away the first attempt 21 minutes in with a wayward flick

Roque Mesa and Fer both tried their luck as the first half wore on, while Aaron Lennon created a good chance for himself which he could not quite finish off.

Swansea had the lead eight minutes later as, after Tom Carroll’s free kick was kept out by Pickford, Fer peeled away from Williams and was completely unmarked six yards out to convert from the corner.

Martin Olsson blasted narrowly wide as the Swans, beaten in each of their last five away games heading into this one, attempted to strengthen their lead, though the next goal went Everton’s way.

Mesa clumsily brought down Lennon and, following a smart Lukasz Fabianski save from the resulting penalty, Calvert-Lewin reacted quickest to stick home the follow-up.

A lacklustre Everton took some time to get going in the second half, too, but their big-money signing from Swansea finally came to life shortly after the hour to smash home a second goal for his side.

Sigurdsson stepped inside from the left and hit the ball flying past Fabianski into the far corner, which he followed up with a muted celebration against his former employers.

Jonjoe Kenny was required moments later to clear a dangerous ball, and that would prove to be the end of the Toffees’ worries as Rooney converted from the penalty spot to seal the points after Kenny was tripped by Olsson, despite the contact being outside the box.

There was a late chance for Calvert-Lewin to add a fourth, which he failed to make the most of by tamely shooting at Fabianski, but Everton saw things through to make it 13 points in their last five league games.

Similar Articles