You are here
Home > Sport News > Football > FA Cup roundup: Norwich City hold Chelsea, Stoke City out, Manchester City through, Bournemouth draw

FA Cup roundup: Norwich City hold Chelsea, Stoke City out, Manchester City through, Bournemouth draw

Norwich City held Chelsea to a goalless draw in Saturday evening’s third-round FA Cup tie at Carrow Road.

The Premier League champions improved in the second period after struggling in the first, but could not break down the impressive Championship hosts, who have earned a replay at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea did not have a single attempt of note in the first 45 minutes, and the half-time whistle blew with Norwich much the happier of the two teams after a positive half from the Championship outfit.


Murphy then had an opportunity after collecting a loose punch from Caballero, but the attacker saw his effort deflected wide of the post as the score remained goalless approaching the final 20 minutes.

Alvaro Morata came off the Chelsea bench in the 74th minute as the visitors looked to avoid a replay, and Luiz sent a long-range free kick just over the crossbar 12 minutes from time.

Norwich also introduced Nelson Oliveira late on, but neither team could make the breakthrough as the third-round match at Carrow Road finished level.

Coventry City caused an FA Cup upset in round three as the League Two side defeated Stoke City to progress to the fourth round and mount further pressure on Potters manager Mark Hughes.

Coventry full-back Jack Grimmer starred with an assist for Jordan Willis’s opener after 24 minutes, before finding the bottom corner after Charlie Adam had given Stoke hope from the penalty spot.

Adam’s first goal since 2015 came after Ramadan Sobhi was brought down, but it was not enough as Coventry continued to push forward, eventually securing a famous win at the Ricoh Arena.

Elsewhere, Manchester City came from behind against Burnley at the Etihad Stadium as Pep Guardiola’s side won 4-1. Ashley Barnes broke the deadlock, but Sergio Aguero’s quickfire brace signalled the start of City’s dominance.

City midfielder ilkay Gundogan grabbed two assists for his side as Leroy Sane and Bernardo Silva secured the win for the hosts.

Wigan Athletic were denied a famous win against Bournemouth as Cherries defender Steve Cook scored in second half-stoppage time in a 2-2 draw at the Vitality Stadium.

Wigan were 2-0 to the good after Will Grigg’s strike after four minutes and an Emerson Hyndman own goal, before Lys Mousset pulled one back and Steve Cook equalised moments before full-time.

Swansea City will also face a third-round replay after drawing 0-0 with Championship high-flyers Wolverhampton Wanderers. The clubs, who are separated by one point in the English football pyramid, could not be separated on Saturday.

Leroy Fer was sent off for Carlos Carvalhal’s men, who will now play Wolves at the Liberty Stadium.

West Bromwich Albion secured their first win since August – and the first at the club for Alan Pardew – as the Baggies won 2-0 away at Exeter City.

Salomon Rondon’s strike inside two minutes set the tone as Jay Rodriguez added a second after the hosts failed to clear their lines.

Newcastle United and Watford both secured strong wins in their games – the Magpies defeated Luton Town 3-1 while Marco Silva’s side won 3-0 against Bristol City.

Huddersfield Town won 2-1 at Bolton Wanderers, while Southampton won 1-0 away at Fulham thanks to a James Ward-Prowse strike.

Similar Articles