You are here
Home > Sport News > Football > Crystal Palace come from behind to earn point in relegation battle

Crystal Palace come from behind to earn point in relegation battle

A second-half penalty from Luka Milivojevic has earned Crystal Palace a 1-1 draw with Newcastle United in Sunday’s Premier League clash at Selhurst Park.

Mohamed Diame had given the Magpies a half-time lead, but Milivojevic made no mistake from the spot as both sides added a point to their efforts to remain in the top flight.

Palace have moved into 14th place in the standings, while Newcastle now sit a point above the relegation zone after a fourth league game without a win.

The first opportunity of the match went the way of Newcastle, with Dwight Gayle turning to volley straight at Wayne Hennessey, but moments later, Palace should have taken the lead.

Patrick van Aanholt did well down the left before playing the ball through to Christian Benteke, who moved in on goal before being denied by a fine block from Karl Darlow.

Back up the other end, Ayoze Perez saw a volley saved by Hennessey but midway through the first half, Newcastle had their opener when Perez flicked on a corner to Diame, who was waiting at the back post to score from six yards out.

Wilfried Zaha was denied an equaliser when his goalbound effort was deflected wide of the target by Benteke, but it was Newcastle who largely remained in the ascendancy.

Kenedy could have scored after cutting inside onto his weaker right foot, only to shoot straight at Hennessey, before Perez saw a 20-yard strike tipped wide by the Welsh stopper.

Palace ended the first half on top, but the ball was not falling for them inside the penalty area and Newcastle were able to head into half time with a rare lead, with Diame’s goal their first during the opening 45 minutes of a league game since December 23.

After the restart, however, it was all Palace. Andros Townsend could have perhaps done better with a header from 12 yards out but the Eagles were soon back on level terms.

After Ciaran Clark was correctly adjudged to have pulled the shirt of Benteke inside the penalty area, Milivojevic stepped up to convert the spot kick, with Darlow pushing the ball onto the inside of the post.

Palace kept the pressure on their opponents but like in the first half, the ball refused to fall kindly for them inside the box and Newcastle somehow managed to remain on level terms heading into the final quarter.

The home side’s best efforts came via Yohan Cabaye and James McArthur but despite both players finding space on the edge of the area, they could not hit the target.

Newcastle were slowing offering a threat back up the other end but Palace were still creating numerous opportunities, with Zaha firing just wide from 16 yards and Benteke seeing two efforts cleared off the line in quick succession.

Christian Atsu flashed a long-range shot wide for Newcastle in the final seconds of the game, but a defeat would have been harsh on either side, who will be content with having avoided losing ground this afternoon.

Similar Articles