Ernesto Valverde has said that he will “wait and see” whether Andres Iniesta decides to bring his long-running spell with Barcelona to an end in the summer.
The 33-year-old continues to be linked with a move to the Chinese Super League and recently confessed that quitting Camp Nou at the end of the season is a possibility.
Iniesta has set himself a deadline of April 30 to make a formal decision regarding his future, and Barcelona boss Valverde is happy to wait until then before deciding whether a replacement midfielder needs to be brought in.
“At the moment all we can do is wait and see what he decides,” he told reporters. “So far he has not made a choice in any way. You cannot put the bandage on before the injury. We know what he brings and we would all like to have Iniesta forever.”
Iniesta, who has been a part of the Barca fold since the age of 12, came off the bench for the second half of Sunday’s 2-0 win over Athletic Bilbao.