You are here
Home > Sport News > Football > Liverpool thump West Ham in Premier League opener

Liverpool thump West Ham in Premier League opener

Bayern Munich have won the DFL Supercup for the third successive season courtesy of a 5-0 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt at the Commerzbank Arena this evening.

Robert Lewandowski put the summer speculation over his future behind him with a hat-trick inside 55 minutes, before Kingsley Coman added a fourth shortly before the hour mark and Thiago Alcantara added a late fifth to wrap up the victory.

The result sees new Bayern boss Niko Kovac get off to a winning start against his former club, who he masterminded to DFB-Pokal glory at the expense of Bayern last season.

There were a number of flash points in a spiky affair despite the semi-competitive nature of the fixture, and the first of those saw Lewandowski clash with a defender before opening the scoring moments later.

Joshua Kimmich provided the cross for the Poland international, who drew a blank at this summer’s World Cup but needed only 21 minutes to open his account for the domestic campaign by planting his header back across goal and into the bottom corner.

Frankfurt almost produced an immediate response as they looked to emulate their surprise victory under Kovac in last season’s cup final, but Mijat Gacinovic fired narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

Bayern soon gained complete control of the contest with a second goal in the space of five minutes, though, and once again it came via a Lewandowski header as he was left unmarked to the area to glance his effort past the keeper.

Frankfurt avoided any further damage before half time, but Bayern were quickly back on the front foot after the interval and it took a fine fingertip save from Frederik Ronnow to turn Arjen Robben’s curling effort past the post in the opening stages of the second half.

Another run-in between Lewandowski and a Frankfurt defender was then followed by the striker’s hat-trick goal, although he needed a stroke of luck to get past his marker despite a poor touch, before sweeping his finish past the keeper with aplomb.

The introduction of Coman would have done nothing to improve the mood of the Frankfurt defenders, and sure enough the substitute scored within six minutes of his introduction, turning David Alaba’s pinpoint low cross home from close range shortly after the hour mark.

Bayern were in cruise control for the remainder of the match whilst Frankfurt focused on damage limitation, although the Bundesliga champions still managed a fifth goal with just five minutes of normal time remaining.

Coman turned provider this time by checking inside from the right flank and laying the ball on a plate for Thiago, who confidently stroked a first-time finish into the bottom corner.

It should have been six in the 89th minute too as Kimmich reached the byline before pulling the ball back for Sandro Wagner, but the striker could not sort out his feet in time and somehow put the ball wide from inside the six-yard box with the goal gaping.

The miss did not have an impact on a result which had long since been decided, though, as Bayern became the first team to lift the trophy three years in a row.


Similar Articles